Monday, January 21, 2008

Hmm. Upgrades.

Well - I've been slowly building up. I just put a 24port gigE vLan switch on the rack. Should work well with IPCop & the several LANs I have running. Also should cut down on the crowding. I am looking into getting some Draft N stuff. Turns out you can put DD-WRT on either a WRT300 or a WRT350. One or two of those combined with an unmodded WRT600N for the access point should speed up playing uncompressed DVDs over the wireless.

Also cannot wait for FreeBSD 7.0 to be released. New features will include ZFS and XEN. I use ZFS currently in a 5TB raid-z2 on OpenSolaris, but I am switching back to FreeBSD as soon as I can. I have been downloading and testing the Betas and Release Candidates - trying to get my feet wet with BSD again. Ports are a thing of beauty.

Also been learning screen, and rtorrent. I have slowly but surely been switching misc daily tasks to command line just so that I can use them with Screen. I imagine soon I will be using Finch with screen as well.

Current programming projects include something I am very excited about and am nearing completion on a v1.0 on. It is called TimeFly. It is a simple, quick and easy to use time tracking software. Project goals are:
1) Learn Ruby/wxRuby
2) Cross Platform
3) Simple to install and use
Along the way I have learned about YAML, and SQLite3. It has been very educational, and once released I hope it will be useful as well.

No comments: